Casting On

So I've been thinking about this concept of the football scarf, as a vehicle to display information. In their conventional form, they comprise mainly blocks of solid knitted colour which remind me alot of information graphics, solid colour which is displayed to represent values or quantities. I think working with sacrves is an exciting idea and i think there is great potential in realigning the purpose of the football scarf.  

As a result of this I have began to experiment with knitting, its such a fascinating process, which really surprised me, as it used to be something I associated with my Nan.  I found also that i'm actually quite a natural and I've been getting to grips with the basics of hand knitting and all the knitting lingo.  Im really enjoying pushing the work in this directional, I like where its going, and its interesting how its encompassing a lot of the interests I outlined in my initial proposals for my self initiated work.  As well as being intrinsically linked to football, it also circles back to the collections I'm interested in, and also touches on a term I've quoted more than once the 'beauty of repetition,' (the process of knitting). Knitting also relates to my love of the hand made and craftsmanship.  

THE CRAFTSMAN

"The intimate connection between the hand and the head."

" The craftsman represents the special human condition of being engaged."

"Basic human impulse, the desire to do a job well, for its own sake."

I found these quotes today whilst reading a friends blog, (Her names Ariane, check out her work its BRIGHT) the quotes are from a book called 'The Craftsman' by Richard Sennet the quotes are really compelling and very relative to what I'm trying to achieve with my work.

14/3/2011

Archive