Tuesday Crit

Yesterday I had a crit with Sheena and the group which overall was pretty good, certainly some interesting stuff going on.  In terms of my work everyone reacted well to it, although as I knew myself the message had become confused.  I presented my two posters which people found interesting, but because their understanding of what they are seeing is limited, their appreciation of the work didn't seem to go beyond an interest.  This was really useful for me, as it made it clear that I still need to dig deeper and experiment further to really establish what I am trying to say with my work about football.  This said the letter-pressed posters I do feel are successful outcomes, but they have just scratched the surface of a subject I will push further. I am going to continue to experiment with letterpress and football chanting.


"Its All Gone Quiet Over There"


Photobucket


'Sit Down Shut Up'


Photobucket


Having spoke about my ideas in the crit I now realise ways in which the work can be improved. The work lacks context, I realise now that I can't just strip the chants completely of their football context their needs to be a nod towards it, a subtle reference or its value is lost.  I need to fully embrace football instead of trying to hide it, which I think i've made the mistake of doing.  So here we go, thats what I'm doing next.

In the crit I also mentioned a video ad, called Puma Hardchorus, which is awesome, it encapsulates perfectly what I am trying to achieve with my work. It's undoubtedly football, yet the context is shifted, its ironic, clever and humorous, if I can produce something close to this, ill be rather happy.






2/2/2011

Archive