Primitive Beats

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket

(above: fold out poster)

I was at college today for the 'final crit' of the Nudism brief.  As a recap the brief was to design the spreads for an article by Ken Hollings, writing about the work of Basil Kirchin, particuarly his soundtrack to the 60's documentary 'Primitive London.'

The starting point for this brief for me, rather logically I guess was listening to the soundtrack, this combined with watching the film and reading a few zines, inspired me to paint.  Whether it was the hand rendered quality of the zines or the eerie, eclectic nature of the soundtrack that inspired this, it led to some interesting outcomes.  I ended up with some pretty abstract paintings, as well as some of Ken Holling's quotes taken from the article that I painted.

I combined these painted elements with some imagery from Primitive London, this combination was aiming to portray the eerie, seductive, yet colourful and vibrant nature of Kirchin's music. In terms of the type I was keen to be experimental yet was also mindful, that at the end of the day, this is a really interesting and rich article in itself, i wanted it legible and not 'over designed.' It kind of speaks for itself, in the way that Holling's is so lyrical with his writing.

Im really pleased with the final outcome and everyone in the crit, shared a positive opinion of the work. There are some minor typographic and printing adjustments to make, but on the whole, a thumbs up all round. There was some really cool work from others too, lots of different idea's which I think will make for a great mini-mag when it's released with Nude this Summer.

17/2/2011

Archive